2017 Mazda CX-5 Review

How do you follow up on what is the best selling SUV in Australia? The 2017 and second-generation Mazda CX-5 launches into a segment that ...

2020 Lexus ES F Sport: owner review

I am over 70. The cars I have owned in the past that I liked the most were a Magna V6 and a Toyota Aurion.

Owner: Donald Packham

I am over 70. The cars I have owned in the past that I liked the most were a Magna V6 and a Toyota Aurion.

I was unhappy driving a small hatchback, and looked at the Lexus because I was considering a Camry SL and wanted to see if the Lexus was worth the difference. Once I saw it I was sold, and I chose the 2020 Lexus ES F Sport because I wasn’t sure about the spindle grille on the other models. The Enhancement Pack was easy to decide on as I love my music, and the dealer had a demonstrator with a bit of a discount. The sedan met my needs better than an SUV.

I liked the fact that Lexus has a Toyota build plate, and that the size of the car and features seemed better value, without the statement that might be attached to a Mercedes or BMW. There aren’t very many Lexus 300hs around, or large sedans for that matter, and I am happy to be different rather than worried that I made the wrong choice. I am confident that it will give me many trouble-free kilometres.

I was keen to get a hybrid as the world is getting warmer and I wanted to do my bit. The car does 5.2L/100km around town and the same on country trips, which makes me happy. Sydney to Brisbane on one tank is pretty good. I might have bought an electric car, but couldn’t charge it while parked on the road outside my house.

I like the technology of the Toyota hybrid drive vehicles. Sure, they are less exciting than a powerful petrol engine, but they are very effective and use half the amount of petrol. I can effortlessly keep up with the traffic and it is great on long trips. I’ve never found that I need more zip than the Lexus provides.

The seats, the ride, and the refinement are all excellent. You can barely hear the engine and its transition from the electric to petrol engine. The steering is fine for long freeway stints, and turns into corners well for a big front-drive car, but for getting around town I wish it was sharper. I cope with the touchpad for the information/entertainment but am not a fan.

Overall, I’m happy with my purchase, though I continue to mull it over and keep an eye on Drive.

Owner:Donald Packham

MORE: Everything Lexus

The post 2020 Lexus ES F Sport: owner review appeared first on Drive.

Subscribe to receive free email updates: